Notice: Due to COVID-19, we will be conducting all consultations either via phone, email or regular mail. If you need any documentation signed or dropped off, feel free to drop it off through our office door mail slot. Please don’t hesitate to contact us if you have any questions!

Health Care Advance Directives

  • My Highest
    Honor Is
    Representing You

    I am dedicated to providing legal services focused on integrity and diligence.

    Hire Someone You Trust
  • More Than
    45 Years' Experience

    With decades of hands-on experience, I can provide the legal services you need.

    Hire Someone With Experience
  • Representing Your Relative‚Äôs Best Interest

    When administering their estate, I will honor your loved one's wishes.

    Let Me Help Your Family
  • Offering

    I am here to assist you with all your probate and estate planning needs.

    Schedule Your Consultation

Healthcare Advance Directives

Miami Estate Planning Lawyer Serving Coral Gables

A healthcare advance directive such as a living will or power of attorney is a legal document that states your healthcare wishes should you become incapacitated, injured, or too ill to make such choices. It may include which treatments you wish or do not wish to receive in order to sustain your life, such as a life-support machine or artificially administered food and/or water.

The advance directive states that you acknowledge what may happen if you do not receive such treatments, and that you wish to either prolong or end your life using or denying certain treatments. It informs medical personnel and your family of your wishes relating to health and medical care if you should become unable to make decisions about treatment.

Living Wills & Powers of Attorney

Living wills are documents that state your wishes in regards to life-prolonging procedures. In order to create a living will, you must be 18 years of age, and it must be signed in the presence of two witnesses. These two people cannot be beneficiaries in your will or trusts, or the living will may not be valid. It goes into effect when your doctor and another doctor who has not your attending physician deem you incapacitated and unable to make your own healthcare decisions.

A power of attorney is a document that indicates a person who you wish to make healthcare decisions on your behalf if you should become unable to do so. The person must be an adult, and should be someone who is aware of your medical wishes. They have the power to either prolong your life, or terminate all artificial life-supporting actions.

You should give a copy of your power of attorney to your physician, so they can place it in your medical records. Like a living will, a power of attorney must be signed in the company of two people, and it becomes valid when two doctors state you are unable to make medical decisions. Unless you specify an end date for a power of attorney or living will, they remain in effect until you pass away.

Why have healthcare advance directives?

Healthcare advance directives let your family and loved ones, along with attending physicians, know your wishes in regards to medical choices. This way, they will not struggle with the decision to either prolong or terminate your life. If you do not create healthcare advance directives and become disabled, injured, or severely ill, the state of Florida will elect the spouse (if the person has a spouse) to make healthcare decisions on the person's behalf.

If a spouse does not exist or is no longer alive, adult children, parents, siblings, a close relative, or a close family friend will have to choose your care options. In order to avoid such traumatic decisions being placed on a loved one, it is ideal to contact the Miami estate planning attorney at my firm, and we can create healthcare advance directives according to your medical wishes.

Frequently Asked Questions

Do wills have limitations? Yes, wills do have limitations. This is why it is important to create an entire estate plan, and keep every document up-to-date. Things such as financial accounts and insurance policies have more power than a will. If your ex-spouse is named to receive your assets in a financial account or insurance policy after you die, they will receive said money, despite what your will states.
Read More FAQs
Susan E. Durre - Miami Probate Lawyer
Located at 6601 SW 80th Street, Suite 121
South Miami, FL 33143.
View Map
Phone: (305) 600-5677
© 2021 All Rights Reserved.

Representing You

Is My Highest Honor

Get started with a FREE case consultation.

Call Toll-Free 305.600.5677
Internet Marketing Experts The information on this website is for general information purposes only. Nothing on this site should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation. This information is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship.