Notice: Due to COVID-19, we will be conducting all consultations either via phone, email or regular mail. If you need any documentation signed or dropped off, feel free to drop it off through our office door mail slot. Please don’t hesitate to contact us if you have any questions!

Living Wills

  • My Highest
    Honor Is
    Representing You

    I am dedicated to providing legal services focused on integrity and diligence.

    Hire Someone You Trust
  • More Than
    45 Years' Experience

    With decades of hands-on experience, I can provide the legal services you need.

    Hire Someone With Experience
  • Representing Your Relative‚Äôs Best Interest

    When administering their estate, I will honor your loved one's wishes.

    Let Me Help Your Family
  • Offering

    I am here to assist you with all your probate and estate planning needs.

    Schedule Your Consultation

About Living Wills

Miami Estate Planning Attorney

It is believed by the Florida legislature that every competent adult has the fundamental right to make decisions regarding his or her own health, and this includes the right to choose to refuse medical treatment or procedures that would only prolong life in the presence of a terminal condition. Since this right is subject to the preservation of ethical standards in the medical profession, steps have been taken to ensure that this right is not lost or diminished by virtue of physical or mental incapacity.

Under Florida law, every competent adult has the right to create a living will, which is a written declaration that directs the withholding or withdrawing of life prolonging procedures in the event one is suffering from a terminal condition. In Florida, life sustaining procedures has been expanded to include providing food and water to terminally ill patients.

A living will is not to be confused with a simple will, which is created for the purpose of disposing a person's personal property after his or her death, and appointing a personal representative to settle the estate.

Designating a Health Care Surrogate

When you execute a living will, it must be signed by you in the presence of two witnesses, one of whom is neither your spouse or someone related by blood. Once the living will has been signed, it will be your responsibility to notify your physician of its existence. It's a good idea to provide a copy of your living will to your doctor and hospital and to make sure it's placed with your medical records.

You also have the choice of designating authority to a health care surrogate, who is someone that makes health care decisions for you during any period of incapacity. Your health care surrogate must consult with your health care providers and provides inform consent on health care decisions pertaining to you, which the surrogate believes would have been your decisions if you were capable of making them for yourself.

Contact a Coral Gables Lawyer Today

Everyone, regardless of age can benefit from a living will and designating a health care surrogate. Since we cannot predict or prevent all accidents or illness, it's a good idea to include a living will with your estate planning documents. This way, should something happen to you; the burden of deciding to withhold or withdraw life-sustaining medical treatment won't be on your loved one's shoulders. By putting your wishes in writing today, not only will your wishes be carried out, but your loved ones won't have to struggle with making these excruciatingly difficult decisions for you.

Contact me, Susan E. Durre for experienced legal assistance drafting a living will and any other estate planning documents that you may need. With over 45 years of experience as a Miami estate planning attorney, I can help you establish an estate plan that will allow you to accomplish your long-term goals.

Frequently Asked Questions

Do wills have limitations? Yes, wills do have limitations. This is why it is important to create an entire estate plan, and keep every document up-to-date. Things such as financial accounts and insurance policies have more power than a will. If your ex-spouse is named to receive your assets in a financial account or insurance policy after you die, they will receive said money, despite what your will states.
Read More FAQs
Susan E. Durre - Miami Probate Lawyer
Located at 6601 SW 80th Street, Suite 121
South Miami, FL 33143.
View Map
Phone: (305) 600-5677
© 2021 All Rights Reserved.

Representing You

Is My Highest Honor

Get started with a FREE case consultation.

Call Toll-Free 305.600.5677
Internet Marketing Experts The information on this website is for general information purposes only. Nothing on this site should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation. This information is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship.